Our 360 Programme
Join our 360 Programme
All Fellows in the Network will have the opportunity to take part twice in our 360 Feedback and Coaching Programme. Several rounds will take place and our second round launches in April.
Register by booking a 360 feedback session with one of our coaches.
Deadline for registration is 5pm Mon 11 April 2022 when the 360 booking system closes.
“It was great to go over the feedback and establish the main themes and feel empowered to make strategic decisions going forward.”
– PARTICIPANT IN OUR 2021 ROUND OF 360 FEEDBACK –
What you need to do and when
1. Book your coaching
- Initiate the process for your feedback by registering for a 90-min coaching appointment. Coaching will take place between May and August 2022.
- Select your coaching date before 5pm Mon 11 April 2022 using our online booking system.
- Shortly after booking, you will receive a welcome email from your allocated coach with a calendar invitation and link to an online meeting for your one-to-one.
2. Manage your survey
- In total the following actions should take up to 90 mins of your time.
- Approximately four weeks before your coaching session, you will receive an email invitation from “Bureau Administration” at Talent Innovations. Please set a reminder in your calendar for this and check your junk folders if you do not receive it. This will give you guidance on how to log in, set up your feedback, and complete your own survey.
- Identify at least nine colleagues (junior, senior, peers) whom you can ask to give you feedback. These will be known as your ‘raters’.
- We recommend that you informally request permission from your raters to seek their feedback, so that they know to expect an automated email from ‘Bureau Administration’. We have drafted a suggested text email template for inviting your raters for you to use and edit.
- Upload details of your raters to the 360 feedback system.
- Once you have set up a minimum of nine raters, they will automatically be contacted and asked to complete the survey.
- Your raters will have approximately three weeks before your coaching session to complete the survey. The sooner you upload their details, the more time they will have to complete the survey.
- Complete your own survey.
- Check on completion rates occasionally and encourage your raters to complete their survey before the deadline.
3. Explore and understand your report
- Two or three working days before your coaching call, your coach will send you your report, along with guidance on how to prepare for the session.
- Read your report and engage in a 90-min one-to-one coaching session, so that you can discuss your feedback and the implications for your development.
Book your 90-min coaching session
We have now closed the 360 coaching booking system. However, if you would still like to take part in this year’s 360 please contact email@example.com and she will be able to arrange this for you.
360 feedback FAQs
We have designed and tested a bespoke leadership model to assess the attributes and behaviours that we believe Fellows will be demonstrating, or will aspire to demonstrate, during their fellowship.
Yes. We ran a pilot study with a group of six researchers holding similar fellowships to the Fellows, who found the 360 feedback itself and the one-to-one coaching session very valuable. We made some adjustments to the survey design and the report template based on what we learnt from the pilot. The survey ran successfully with 120 Fellows from the Network in 2021, and we have further refined it since then.
There are two principles to keep in mind.
- First, your raters need to know you well enough to have observed you over time, since they will be asked to comment on the frequency with which you demonstrate certain behaviours. If necessary, you can ask former colleagues who know you better.
- Second, you need a balance of raters. We recommend that you have at least three senior colleagues, e.g. line managers, principal investigators, heads of department, mentors; at least three junior colleagues, e.g. students and staff whose work you manage or support, or any less experienced colleagues who may look to you for advice and support; and at least three peers and collaborators, e.g. colleagues from other institutions, disciplines, sectors, countries.
There is no upper limit on the number of raters you can have, but you must have a minimum of nine in total.
If you don’t feel that you have enough potential raters at your current institution, then you can ask former colleagues, as long as your work together was recent enough that they will be able to recall specific examples of your behaviour.
You can also ask colleagues who know you in other aspects of your professional life, e.g. if you serve on committees or boards, work with sector bodies, other stakeholders or perform other kinds of service to your institution or discipline.
We do not recommend that you include family, friends, or other personal acquaintances, since they are unlikely to have seen enough of the leadership behaviours which this 360 feedback tool was designed to assess.
Choose a time slot that suits you alongside your work and home commitments. You should have plenty of options to choose from between May and August.
You may want to factor in that your raters will be asked to complete the survey in the three weeks prior to your one-to-one coaching appointment, so please also bear in mind any busy periods where you know that they will not be able to commit to this and/or you will not be comfortable approaching them (See our FAQ on ‘I don’t want to ask my busy colleagues to spend time on this’ below).
Typically, the survey takes 20-30 minutes to complete, and it can be completed in several sittings.
You will receive your report approximately two or three working days before your coaching session, along with a set of reflective questions to help you prepare for the discussion with your coach. Please commit time in your diary for reading the report.
Other than you, the report will be sent to your allocated coach, who will help you to make sense of the findings and what they mean for your development.
The 360 feedback process is managed on behalf of the Network by Dr Tracey Stead, who will have access all reports in order to distribute them to Fellows and coaches. Visit our Teams page to read Tracey’s profile and learn about her work for the Network.
Except in cases where there are specific questions or concerns, or if she is your allocated coach, it is not envisaged that Dr Stead will read individual reports.
The Network Project Board will receive an aggregated, fully anonymised report once all of the 360s have been completed.
When you log in to the system, you will see a progress update for each rater.
Yes. If raters have not yet completed their feedback, they will receive automated reminders ten days and three days before the deadline, and one day after the deadline has passed. However, we know that they are more likely to complete the survey if they receive a personalised reminder from you.
We understand that this isn’t always easy. We recommend that you informally contact your potential raters before you set them up in the system – that way, you will have had the chance to sound them out personally, and stress the time commitment you are asking for (20 to 30 mins), before they receive automated emails from the system. It’s also a good idea to try and plan for some back-up raters in each category, in case your first choices are unavailable for this coming round.
Generally, our experience is that people, even if they are very busy and very senior, understand how important 360 feedback is to developing your leadership – particularly for people undertaking a Fellowship. Many of the people you’re wondering about contacting have probably done something similar before, or perhaps even wish that they could have it done themselves.
Remember, too, that if you phrase your request politely and respectfully, then you are highly unlikely to cause offence by asking someone to contribute to your professional development. They have the right to say no if they genuinely don’t have the time, but it doesn’t follow that it was wrong to make the request in the first place.
Log in to the system and check that their details have been set up. N.B. You need to have set up the required minimum of nine raters before any invitation emails will be sent.
Ask your raters to check the junk email folders for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are still having problems, please contact Talent Innovations: email@example.com.
Contact your coach directly, as a courtesy, to let them know as soon as possible. They may be able to directly offer you a different appointment. If not, they will refer you to an alternative coach.
Please note that any cancellations or postponements less than three working days before the appointments will still be charged to the Network, although there will be no direct cost to you.