Teams & Collaborations: planned opportunities for 2021-22 – first up: Thurs 22 July
Since the Network began offering workshops to you, many of the sessions have been around management and leadership of others. We know from the 360 feedback exercise, and many of the interactions that we’ve had with you, that this is a key area that you are keen to develop.
One of our main themes for provision of development opportunities is “Teams and Collaborations”. As the name suggests, this theme will cover two kinds of working relationship essential to researchers and innovators. The first looks inward, to your immediate team, and to core topics related to recruiting and developing people whom you supervise or manage, such as feedback and performance management. In particular, the aim is to ensure that, as leaders, you are equipped with the tools and confidence to address things early. The second looks more outward, to your collaborations: finding potential collaborators and establishing productive relationships, how to keep collaborative projects on track, particularly as these reach across institutional and disciplinary boundaries. The theme will be delivered via a mix of workshops, surgeries for ‘live’ issues and practice sharing ‘How I…’ sessions where you can hear how other FLF+s have approached their teams and collaborations. We will also run ‘sandpits’ where you will meet other Fellows to generate ideas, discussion and collaborations on topics of common interest.
Do take a look at materials library from sessions that have already taken place. Many have been recorded and titles include: Effective Recruitment, Delegating and Motivating, Supporting Researcher Career Development, Inclusive Leadership and Managing Conflict.
What’s coming up:
· 22 Jul, 10:00 – 11:30 Workshop: Establishing Productive Collaborations – a session to help you plan and maintain your research collaboration properly so you can both enjoy and learn from your journey.
· 17 Aug, 10:00 – 12:00 – Mini Research Sandpit – Quantum technologies – an opportunity for the FLF+ community to dialogue, network and establish collaborative partnerships around the theme of Quantum Technologies.
· 18 Aug, 15:00 – 16:00 – Insight Series: How I… Recruited My Research Team
Learn from a small panel of fellow FLF+ colleagues and other ‘early career’ research leaders what lessons they learned in recruitment process.
· 15 Sep, 09:30 – 11:30 Workshop: Recruiting Your Research Team – Advice and discussion for recruiting high quality researchers to your new team.
· 28 Sep, 10:00 – 12:00 Workshop: Managing Teams and Collaborations – This session builds on the 22 July workshop on establishing new teams and collaborations in which we discussed how to plan and maintain your research collaboration.
· 29 Sep, 10:00 – 11:00 Coffee Morning: Building Teams in the Time of Covid – A casual, drop-in event for FLF+s to share tips and tricks about how they approach working within their teams in the Time of Covid.
· 19 Oct 15:00-16:00 Insight Series: How I…Support and Manage My Research Team. Learn from a small panel of fellow FLF+ colleagues and other ‘early career’ research leaders what they have found to be effective in supporting and managing their team.
· 29 Oct, 15:00 – 16:30 Surgery: Trouble Shooting Sessions – A practice sharing and troubleshooting session on any current challenges you are facing around leading and managing teams and collaborations.
(bookings for these events will open three months before the workshop):
17 Nov 2021 – Managing Performance – a session to help
29 Nov 2021 – Delegation and Feedback
10 Jan 2022 – Working part time – advice on approaches to both working part time yourself, and managing others who work part time
21 Jan 2022 – Surgery: Trouble Shooting Sessions – A practice sharing and troubleshooting session on any current challenges you are facing around leading and managing teams and collaborations.
Mini research sandpits – upcoming topics are likely to include quantum technologies, food insecurity, net zero carbon science and communication. Please let us know if you have any research topics you think would be suitable for a sandpit.
Please let us know what else you would like to see in terms of events, training and development, and we will do our best to include it in the programme.
Of course, don’t forget that there are other related offerings via the FLF Development Network:
- PLUS funds: if you want to organise something yourself (or with other FLFs), then you may have an idea which is eligible for PLUS funding of up to £25k
- Mentoring: through our mentoring scheme you could find this opportunity to be matched to a mentor who can advise and support you on managing teams and collaborations.